Monday, January 6, 2014

Shine on...

There is a lot of talk about selecting your word for the new year (check out this or this or this).  Instead of a list of resolutions, the idea is to select one word and to let this word inspire how you live throughout the year.  I sort of made resolutions for the new year here.  Well, keeping these "resolutions" in mind, I have come up with my word for 2014.

shine 

When I think of the word shine, I think of light.  Did you ever meet someone who lights up a room?  I'm not talking about the person who does anything and everything to be the center of attention.  It is important not to equate shine with "look at me" behavior.  I'm talking about the light that shines from within. 

Some people have a special kind of light that makes everyone around them feel special.  This internal light shines brighter than any external show we can put on for others.  We see this light in a person's eyes and in their smile.  We hear this light in their words and in their laughter.  We feel this light in their kindness.  To truly shine is simply a way of living each and every day.  It is a way of being.

In a world that can get dark at times, I want to shine this kind of light.  How can I do this?  This is how I hope to start...

Shine with genuine happiness for others and happiness with myself.

Shine with gratitude for what I have.

Shine with possibility for what might be.

Shine with action in doing the things that I love.

Shine with curiosity in trying new things.
 
Shine with love.

Shine with laughter.

Shine with hope.

Shine in the moment I have right now.

Shine so bright that the light remains even after the moment is gone. 

shine  





No comments:

Post a Comment